Brodgar software (freely available)
What is Brodgar?
During 2000 - 2015, we developed statistical software code for various time series analysis techniques like dynamic factor analysis, MAFA, chronological clustering, and a large number of multivariate analysis methods. The resulting software package is called Brodgar. It allows the user to carry out a range of statistical techniques in a click-and-go style. The package has an interface to R, but also contains a couple of statistical methods not available in R, e.g. dynamic factor analysis, MAFA, and chronological clustering.
The following techniques are available in Brodgar
- Data exploration: Boxplots, (multi-panel) Cleveland dotplots, (multi-panel) histograms, (multi-panel) scatterplots, pairplots, design and interaction plots.
- Univariate analysis: Regression, GLM, GAM, linear mixed-effects modelling, GLS, univariate regression trees. Power analysis
- Multivariate analysis: Principal component analysis, correspondence analysis, redundancy analysis, canonical correspondence analysis, MDS, NMDS, ANOSIM, Mantel test, clustering techniques.
- Time series techniques: Dynamic factor analysis, MAFA, chronological clustering, auto-correlation functions.
Due to other commitments (book writing and a young twin), we have decided to make Brodgar freely available. You can use the following license codes to enable it:
- For 2023: HS2023 and 213914546
- For 2024: HS2024 and 524953793
- For 2025: HS2025 and 464371517
- For 2026: HS2026 and 303708396
Please note that no support is provided.
How to download Brodgar (for free)?
The package (including its manual) can be downloaded (for free). The current Brodgar version is 2.7.5 (March 2017).
Step 1: Download R version 3.3.3
- Download R version 3.3.3; this is a free package. Once downloaded, install and use all default settings.
We have tested all techniques in Brodgar with R version 3.3.3. Using a newer R version, may (or may not) cause problems. Multiple R versions can be installed on your computer; they do not interfere with one another. In case you want to try a newer version of R, then consider the following. Brodgar will create a file with the name 'Rversion.txt' inside its own installation directory. In this file, you need to type the following text (which should be adjusted for a different R version): C:/Program Files/R/R-3.3.3/bin/i386/Rterm.exe
Step 2: Download Brodgar
Download the setup275.exe Brodgar setup file. Note that it only runs on Windows machines (or on a Mac with a Windows emulator).
Step 3: Install and run Brodgar
If you did not install R, then please do this now. Install R on your computer by clicking on the R installation file that you downloaded.
Install Brodgar by clicking on the Brodgar setup file. Install under C:/Brodgar and NOT under C:/Program Files/Brodgar.
Start Brodgar by clicking on the Brodgar shortcut on your desktop. The first time you run it, a window will appear asking you for the two license codes. You can get these from the main page. The first code is of the form: HS2022 (or HS2023 depending on the year) and the second code is a set of numbers
The Brodgar manual is available online.
- Table of contents
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5 Power analysis supplement.
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7
Brodgar can import approximately half a million data cells. The upper limit for the number of variables in ordination techniques is 2000. The maximum number of time series for dynamic factor analysis is approximately 25 time series.