Highland Statistics Ltd was founded more than 20 years ago by Dr. Alain F. Zuur (statistician). The company is based in Scotland and provides statistical courses and consultancy.
An interdisciplinary team consisting of Dr. Alain F. Zuur (statistician) and Dr. Elena N. Ieno (biologist) offers 20 to 25 statistical online and onsite courses per year. Courses are non-technical and cover a wide range of statistical techniques. See this pdf file for a detailed description.
Upcoming onsite courses:
- Data exploration, multiple linear regression, GLM, and GAM. With an intro to R. Livorno, Italy. 25 - 29 September 2023. Course flyer.
- Introduction to GLMs with spatial, and spatial-temporal correlation using R-INLA. Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 30 October - 3 November 2023. Course flyer.
- Introduction to GAMs with spatial, and spatial-temporal correlation using R-INLA. Wageningen, The Netherlands. 22 - 26 January 2024. Course flyer.
Upcoming online live courses:
- Introduction to Linear Mixed Effects Models and GLMM with R. In-house online live course for the University of Helsinki, Finland. November 2023.
- Data Exploration, Regression, GLM & GAM. With an introduction to R. In-house online live course for IMR, Bergen. Norway. November 2023.
- Introduction to Linear Mixed-Effects Models,GLMM and Multivariate GLMM with R. Open online live course. November and December 2023.
- Generalised Additive Models for the analysis of spatial and spatial-temporal data. Online live course for DFO-Canada. January/February 2024.
- Generalised Additive Models for the analysis of spatial and spatial-temporal data. Open online live course. January/February 2024.
Our course material is based on a series of 12 statistical textbooks. The first 3 were published by Springer. One book was translated into Chinese and Japanese. We have started with a second edition of our Springer book: 'Beginner's Guide to R. With ChatGPT integration'.
We offer a "View-only" package for university and institutional libraries. Get access to all our books for all your employees.
We have contributed to a large number of scientific papers, which has resulted in a long list of co-authored papers. In particular, we are first-authors of one of the most cited and downloaded papers in ecology: A protocol for data exploration to avoid common statistical problems. Zuur et al. (2010). This paper is labeled as a 'Hot Paper' in the field of Environment/Ecology by Science Watch at Thomson Reuters.
Highland Statistics provides statistical consultancy in various forms, e.g. help with paper submission or referee comments, guidance with statistical analyses, or analysis of data. Our input can be anything from a few hours to large projects of 50+ days. Our customers include the United Nations, NIOZ, Wageningen University, Institute of Marine Research, DFO, JNCC, Rijkswaterstaat, DEWLP, among many others.